There are a few adjustments we will make in order to better fit with the Living Stations. The preparation class is being moved to one of the classrooms on the bottom floor of Founders Hall so that we wont have to move in the middle of practice. There will be signs to help direct people. We will also plan to start Vespers at 8pm, which will hopefully give those who are not staying to pray enough time to move along. There will still be an announcement at the cantor stand when we begin, but I am hoping to avoid doing the opening verse and hymn from there (which doesn’t seem to get anyone’s attention anyway).
Considering we will have a full hour between the preparation and the start of Vespers, I will offer extra practice and/or helpful reflections after 6:50. That way we will cover everything that is particularly important for that evening from 6 to 6:50, allowing people who would like to attend the Living Stations or visit the Blessed Sacrament the opportunity to depart, while also offering a chance to more deeply engage with Vespers for those who would like to stay.
So what can we expect for this Friday?
We are back to the “O Jesus Christ, from Thee Began” Hymn, but we will be continuing with the Magnificat in Latin. It will be sung a different tone though – here is what the first two verses will sound like (remember – the first verse only uses the half of the melody up to the single line, while the second verse, and those after, use the full melody):
See if you can sing it on your own:
- Ma-gní-ficat * ánima méa Dómi-num.
- Et ex-sultálvit spí-ritus méus * in Déo salutári mé-o.
- Qui-a respéxit humilitátem ancíllae súae: * ecce enim ex hoc beátam me dícent ómnes generatió-nes.
- Qui-a fécit míhi mágna qui pótens est : * et sánctum nómen é-jus.
- Et mi-sericórdia éjus a progénie in progénies * timéntibus é-um.
- Fé-cit poténtiam in bráchio suo : * dispérsit supérbos ménte córdis sú-i.
- De-pó-suit poténtes de séde, * et exaltávit húmi-les.
- E-su-riéntes implévit bónis : * et dívites dimísit iná-nes.
- Su-scé-pit Israel púerum súum, * recordátus misericórdiae sú-ae.
- Si-cut locútus est ad pátres nóstros, * Abraham et sémini éjus in saécu-la.
- Gló-ri-a Pátri, et Filio, * et Spirítui Sán-cto.
- Si-cut érat in princípio, et núnc, et sémper, * et in saécula saeculórum. A-men.
Have a great week!